Someone nominated me for a Liebster award!
What does that mean, you ask? Directly from their website: “Liebster” is a German word meaning beloved or dearest. In the blogging world, the Liebster Award is online recognition given by bloggers to other new bloggers for enjoying or valuing their work. It is meant to highlight and credit favorite new up and coming blogs within our writing community.
As other nominees have said, winning the Liebster is like receiving one long internet chain letter. Someone nominates you, and then you nominate others. It’s a way to spread awareness of new and upcoming blogs that may not get a ton of notice on their own. It’s a cute idea, so of course, I’m going with the flow!
The full details of the award are here, but the gist is, I am nominated, then I recognize my nominator, write a post where I answer my nominee’s 10 questions to me, nominate 6-11 blogs of my own choosing and ask them a new set of 10 questions.
Who nominated me?
I was nominated by Fern, of the Salty Fern. Her blog has great content, with superb images, that I’ve been enjoying going through. She also has some awesome YouTube videos, like one of her going on a hot air balloon ride in Mexico. (Which, I totally want to do now, so thanks for the idea, Fern!) I also really like her writing style, such as this article here, which discusses what her expectations of visiting a site were and what her actual experience was. I appreciate her honest outlook. Her Instagram is filled with beautiful images that you’ll want to check out as well.
Answers to Fern’s Questions
- You’ve just won $1,000,000, what’s the first thing you do? Tithe 20 percent. All I have is God’s, and he should get the first fruits!
- Who is the most inspiring traveller in your life? This is a no-brainer: Rick Steves! I love his guidebooks, and what an informative traveler he is. I like his travel philosophy and how he thinks everyone, no matter who they are, should “keep on traveling.”
- What’s your favourite doughnut flavour? Plain with chocolate on top. Sounds boring, but I’m never disappointed.
- If you could travel back in time, what period would you visit? This is always a hard question for me to answer, because it really depends on who I’d be in the period I’d visit. I would love to visit England in the 1510 during Henry Tudor’s reign. I think it’s such an exciting time. However, I’m well aware I wouldn’t be the one in the fancy dresses visiting court, no I’d be the one scrubbing toilets and hoping I’m not on the short list for getting boiled alive for looking at the king wrong.
- What’s the first place on your travel bucket list? This changes almost daily, but right now I’d really like to go to Jordan. (Also Bali has been on there for awhile…. oh, and Greece!) It’s not fair to ask a travel-lover to answer this question…
- What was the first country you visited? Canada with my parents. We went to Niagara Falls. And I still like that place, and recommend it to others.
- How old were you when you first flew on an airplane? I think I was younger, but the first plane ride I remember I was 7-years-old and we were visiting my grandmother in Florida. (And yes, I threw up all over the plane.)
- Do you prefer to travel solo, in a group or a couple, and why? I like to travel as a couple with my husband. We have a great time together, and really have grown closer through some of these experiences, and learned a lot about each other in the process. We’ve had to work through all kinds of challenges, and we’ve also seen some of the most beautiful places together. One time, we were alone eating a homemade Sicilian dinner watching a volcano erupt. We walked up to our balcony, and shared some wine and watched it for another hour… Romantic and very intimate.
- Where do you see your blog in 1 year? I have no idea, but I hope people still find it useful and I’m still able to plug away. I enjoy it, so hopefully others will. If not, I’ll still be doing it!
- What’s your favorite social media platform, why? Instagram because I love images. I love seeing all the places people are going, food they are eating and experiences they’re having. Plus, it always gives me some great ideas for my next adventure.
Caveat: I have to say it was hard to find blogs that haven’t already been nominated. I am pretty sure these haven’t, but I apologize if you have already been nominated. These are people I found through Instagram, that I thought had great images, and also a fun blog!
Blogs I Nominate
Questions for my Nominees
- What was your worst travel experience?
- If you could change one inconvenient thing about traveling, what would it be?
- What was your favorite dessert you had while traveling?
- What was one thing that you weren’t anticipating happening on your last trip?
- If you could only visit one place this year, where would it be?
- Preference: Bed and breakfast or hotel?
- Name one place everyone in the world should visit.
- Why did you start blogging?
- What’s your favorite part about your home town?
- What would you do for a Klondike bar?
Thanks for the nomination, Fern… I’ve had some fun with this!