Not checking a bag means you have to be way more conscious of what you’re allowed and not allowed to bring on airplanes. Some countries have different requirements for what is permissible, and sometimes it totally depends on the whim of the TSA agent. However, there are things I bring that a lot of people are surprised I’m allowed to pack in my carry-on. Allow me to indulge you.
The rules are different for checked bags, and there are some things that you can check that you can’t carry-on. However, these are things that you can bring with you and stow in the overhead bins.
1. Razors. I bring disposable razors, and my husband has packed his electric razors. These are permissible. According to TSA, disposable and electric are fine. Where you get into trouble is with box cutters.
2. Aerosol cans. As long as it fits the 3-1-1 rule (3.4 oz or less), you can bring it on. I always pack aerosol hairspray and never had an issue.
3. Safety pins. And as a bonus, check out my article I wrote called why you should pack safety pins. They have a lot of good uses.
4. Nail clippers. That being said, it’s one of those items we always forget and always have to buy. I have so many at home now.
5. Hair pick (comb). I have a metal, sharp teasing comb that I always bring (Yes, I should have been born in Texas. I love that big hair.) I don’t know why, but I always wait for the TSA agent to spot it and say “You can’t bring this on!” Mostly because it could be used as a weapon.
6. Wine bottle opener. The only time I’ve had this confiscated was in Ecuador. In the states and in Europe, it’s been fine.
7. Plastic knives and forks. I always pack plastic-ware because we usually picnic at some point in every trip and I like to be Susie Prepared.
8. Tweezers. How else do they expect me to get those loose chin hairs? (TMI?)
9. Disposable lighters. Cigarette lighters are fine. If you smoke, you probably already knew this. But since I don’t smoke and was going to be going camping, I wondered if this was OK. Turns out, it is.
I don’t know if this helps you in your packing preparations or induces mass panic knowing the things they allow on aircrafts. And don’t worry if you accidentally bring something you shouldn’t. They’ll just pull you aside and take it from you. Happy flying to all!